Here’s a recipe for chocolate that I make for my family all the time. It’s a no guilt treat that’s gluten-free and low-carb (you can adjust it to be very low-carb if you want) that’s healthy for the whole family. It’s so simple and quick to make, you’ll be whipping this up all the time.
It uses only 5 ingredients: virgin coconut oil, raw cocoa powder, raw honey, vanilla extract (I order this one from Amazon Nielsen-Massey 32 oz. Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, and pink Himalayan sea salt (I use this one from The San Francisco Salt Company).
Since we use coconut oil, it needs to be kept in the refridgerator until you’re ready to eat it so it doesn’t melt all over the place. The coconut oil gives it a silky smoothness that just melts in your mouth! The recipe below is how I make it for my family. If you like it sweeter, add more honey. Not as sweet, less honey. Taste it as you make it and adjust until you’re happy. That’s the great thing about making your own food, you make it how you like it.
- 1 cup raw cocoa powder
- 1 cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Raw Honey (or to taste)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- Measure out 1 cup of coconut oil. If it's solid, then gently warm it on the cooktop until it starts to melt. It doesn't need to be hot, just heated up until it starts to melt. In the summer months, our house is warm enough so the coconut oil is always liquid. Makes this much quicker!
- Pour the liquid coconut oil into a medium bowl.
- Add 1 cup of cocoa powder.
- Using a whisk, blend the oil with the powder until smooth.
- Add your honey and vanilla. Whisk again until the smooth.
- Add your sea salt. You can add a little at a time and taste until you like it. Adding a little bit at a time will ensure you don't put too much. You can always add more but you can't take it back out. Also, you can always leave it out and just sprinkle it on top after the chocolate has hardened.
- Once you have the chocolate mix tasting just how you like it, you can pour it into a 6"x9" casserole dish lined with wax paper or something similar. I bought some plastic molds from a local baking supply shop that really give the bars a finished look. But whatever shape you make them they'll still taste great!
- Once in the pan or mold, just pop in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Once they harden, they're ready to eat!
- Remember, since they're made with coconut oil, the melting point is low and you'll have chocolate covered fingers if you hold them too long. I usually hold with a paper towel. Especially when I give it to the kids.
- A word about the nutritional information listed for my recipes. It is calculated automatically by the plugin-in that I use to display the recipes on The Healthy Hubby web site. While I believe it to be fairly accurate, since they are generated automatically, don't take it as gospel.